Monday 26 August 2013

Seeing Red


Harry and I had a very lovely weekend as Sam and Sandy married each other in our local Register Office which was followed by a fantastic reception in what used to be a Stately Home but it is now a country pub in beautiful surroundings with a huge hall for all the guests to do their own thing. In many ways, it was an unconventional wedding. The most noticeable thing being that the bride dressed in red and the groom had a matching red waistcoat.
Their four children each wore outfits that suited their personalities best. The youngest in a lovely netted, flouncy dress with a bolero in contrasting colour. The two middle girls, being tom boys, dressed in suits with brightly coloured waist coats and the eldest being a boy, decided on a dark suit with red highlights.
The guests were invited to take part in the entertainment and several relatives and friends recited monologues or sang or said something significant.
This was all followed by some really wild dancing, which I felt was really amazing.
It is a long time since I enjoyed myself so much, though it was an effort for Harry because of his illness but he enjoyed it too. He finds it hard to stay up late, though.
My daughter and grandsons stayed with us over the weekend mainly because of the wedding but also to bring back Harry, who had spent a week near London with that branch of the family supposedly to give me a break. However that is another tale for another time.



18 comments:

Akelamalu said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! x

Expat mum said...

Oooh, sounds wonderful. So glad you had a great day Maggie. You deserve it. x

Sally Wessely said...

Sounds perfect. I'm glad you had a happy day and a bit of a respite.

Jackie said...

A beautiful-sounding day, Maggie.
I would LOVE to see photos of the radiant bride and groom.
So happy that your Grands were able to spend time with you.
I'm happy that Harry was able to enjoy the festivities with all of you.
I send heartiest congratulations to Sam and his bride!!
Love to you, Maggie....
Jackie

Ayak said...

Sounds like a great wedding Maggie. Congratulations to Sam and his new wife x

Brian Miller said...

smiles...i am glad you had a good weekend and that you enjoyed yourself so much...the dancing especially...ha...i like...you def deserve the day...smiles.

dianefaith said...

Sounds like a splendid wedding! I'm glad you and Harry got to experience it. Must have been beautiful.

I'm not sure I like that "supposedly" in the next to last sentence.

Beryl Ament said...

Congratulations to all. The best part is that you sound so happy.

sgreerpitt said...

I love it when people defy traditions to have a day that is meaningful to them and their family and friends...here's to wedding red! Glad you had a good day and that Harry was able to enjoy it too.

Sandi McBride said...

It sounds a lovely wedding, wish I had been there!
hugs
Sandi

Rose said...

Congratulations to your son and new daughter-in-law! It sounds like a wonderful time for everyone, and I can tell it was such a happy time for you and Harry. Glad that both of you were able to share this joyful time.

Suburbia said...

Oh Maggie, CONGRATULATIONS!
So glad you had a wonderful day.

Dimple said...

I'm glad you and Harry were able to enjoy the wedding and visiting with family.
Blessings to you both!

Anonymous said...

That really does sound lovely, Maggie. I love unconventional weddings. Long gone are the days when brides and grooms had to wear traditional dress, and we should, in this day and age, feel free to wear different styles and colours. I love red wedding dresses!

CJ x

Working Mum said...

That sounds like a really meaningful wedding and will lead to a very happy marriage. I wish them well.

SandyCarlson said...

Sounds like a wonderful time!

Jinksy said...

I can't believe I didn't leave a comment the first time I read this - blasted senior moments, what!?!

Sounds like a great celebration, though, and all good wishes to the bride and groom for their future life together. ♥♥

Hilary said...

What a lovely event. I'm glad that all of you were together to enjoy it. Congratulations to your son and daughter in law.. and to you and Harry, for now your family has grown.