Sunday 11 June 2017

All Things Bright And Beautiful



'Have a little peek under the bandage' my son said on returning from the eye hospital. 
'No!' I'd decided to go by the book of instructions that I'd been issued with.
The next morning, I nervously took all the padding off.
WOW! Everything was crystal clear and clean and colours looked beautifully bright.
The day before, I'd had the cataract on my left eye removed. Although I knew my sight was getting pretty abysmal, I hadn't realised quite how bad it was..... how yellowy brown everything was becoming and how indistinct everything looked.
I'd bought some wool to knit a cardigan, thinking it was a sort of smokey grey and when I looked... it was a much brighter denim blue. This was just the beginning. All manner of things are being noticed and I can't get over the pleasure of looking out into the far distance with my good eye and seeing everything clearly.
In the meantime, I have a bit of a problem. My untreated eye now seems to be redundant. I can't see a lot out of it without my prescription glasses which I cannot now use because of the good eye. Taking one lens out of the glasses makes me see double and causes me profound giddiness. I talked to my optometrist who told me he will not prescribe a contact lens and that I could put a patch over one eye.
Well, I decided to just get on with things and can see well enough with my good eye to live a pretty active life. Reading was a problem until a friend kindly lent me a cheap pair of reading glasses which I'm using to write this post.
Hopefully when the next eye is operated on, I will not need glasses except for reading. This is quite exciting as I've been very shortsighted since I was ten and have worn glasses most of that time to correct this.
Bristol Eye Hospital is really marvellous and the consultant who did the operation, put a lens of my own prescription into the eye itself after taking out the cataract. What marvellous technology.
Can't wait for the next one to be done, though I might have to wait a while.

14 comments:

Celia said...

Congratulations on your new vision. I had this done about two years ago. I was also shocked at how bad my vision had really been and at the two pink sweaters I'd thought were a middling pink and turned out to be neon bright pink. And how wonderful the world looks again. Hugs.

Eddie Bluelights said...

Fantastic that colour and sharpness of your 'new' eye makes your world a brighter place. Shame this is hampered by the bad eye.

Well done and hope soon they can do the second eye . . . :) xx

Wisewebwoman said...

Wow! What good news indeed! Im glad your colours are back!

XO
WWW

ADDY said...

That's marvellous. I have heard other people remark after cataract operations how brightly coloured everything appears again. Hope you don't have to wait too long for the other eye to be done.

Rose said...

So happy for you! I hope you don't have to wait too long for the other eye to be done as well.

Shammickite said...

How wonderful for you. The world is a beautiful place and now you can appreciate it in full Technicolour!!!!! Lets hope it won't take too long to get an appointment for the second eye.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

I got to watch my husband's cataract operation. It was fascinating. He could see out a small gap in the bandage and was so excited at how bright everything was. He was less thrilled with my technique in putting the drops in after but all turned out well. We had a friend who had "long vision" lens in one side and "reading lens" in the other and he got along quite well. Hope you do too.

Secret Agent Woman said...

That's fantastic. My son is going to optometry school in the fall and works now at an optometry office. He was talking about the inevitability of cataract surgery and how much clearer my eyesight would be.

Beryl Ament said...

You have inspired me. I knew last year I needed the surgery, but opted for another operation on my head first. Once I decided it was time to go ahead and have my eyes put to rights, I called the office and learned it would be four months before I could get an appointment. I now have about three weeks to wait, and all the comments about a bright new world are getting me excited. Things are looking a little dingy!

Wendy said...

Glad the operation was a success! Too bad about your other eye not seeing well - yet. But that day will come!
I was prescribed "progressive" glasses and cannot wear them. I get dizzy and it just won't work. Spent a fortune on them too. :-(. Oh well....

Beryl Ament said...

I posted here two weeks ago that you had inspired me. My appointment was yesterday and I am scheduled to have the left eye done on August 11 and the right on August 31. I’ll let you know how it works out!

UplayOnline said...

Lets hope it won't take too long to get an appointment for the second eye.


เย็ดสาว

Unknown said...

Wasnt that a Beatle's song?
Maggie May??
God bless your indelible soul.

Florence said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!