Friday 21 November 2014

Good Neighbours

Photo copyright: Maggie May


Aren't Spider's webs beautiful? When you come to think about it, they are so cleverly and laboriously made, considering they come from a creature that causes so much distaste and fear, to some, anyway You either love them or hate them, especially if they accidentally brush right across your face when you walk through the garden.
This one was noticed before I loaded my washing on the rotary one early morning when the dew was still on it.

We're still having mild weather and I have roses out in bloom which seems really weird in November.
I have seen on TV the havoc that parts of USA are having with heavy snow falls at present and obviously the weather is really being affected by Global Warming. No one seems to be getting their normal weather anymore.

I have some good neighbours and every bin collection that is due, Karen's husband kindly wheels my whole assortment of bins and recycling boxes out to the pavement on the evening before collection. I also wheel out my other neighbour's bin because he keeps forgetting to empty his. This struck me as rather funny. The one with a bad back having her bins moved to save her from being injured, who then wheels out another neighbour's bin because he keeps muddling up when he has to put it out. Between us, though, everybody seems to be happy. 
Have you got good neighbours?

12 comments:

Jackie said...

Love the title of your blog, and I smiled to read the story of how neighborly you all are. Bless you, sweet friend.
PS. I think the patterns on spiders' webs are marvelously and intricately woven. Beautiful!

dianefaith said...

My favorite neighbor of all time is an old (my age) Vietnam vet with salty language. He smokes too much and drinks, too -- and would do absolutely anything he could to help neighbors. It puzzles me sometimes how we assign "good" and "bad" to people. Some of the people who "look good" on the surface make terrible neighbors.
Spider webs, hanging out clothes, and roses -- beautiful things. I loved reading about them here.

Gosia said...

what an incredible web . At my place the weather is also so nice.

Hilary said...

The web you found is wonderful. I am not fond of spiders but I'm in awe of how they build their webs.

I had amazing neighbours where I lived up until a year ago. They were equal parts of friend and neighbour... 6 homes in particular. Here, I'm still getting to know my neighbours but there are fewer of them through the winter than the summer.

Jinksy said...

That's an excellent composition on the part of the photographer, never mind the spider. :-) I love the way the square sections of the trellis are echoed buy the squarish section of the web. Well spotted, Maggie.

Shammickite said...

I have lovely neighbours here, and I still keep in touch with neighbours from my previous street. So Important to be surrounded by helpful people. I met my former neighbour in the grocery store last week, we had a big hug and a chat and got in the way of all the other shoppers.... it was fun!

Rose said...

I think spider webs are beautiful and amazing creations--as long as I don't accidentally walk into one. My favorites are from the garden orb spiders who weave a zigzaggy web to start out with.

We are definitely into winter here, and my garden has turned to mush. But we've had only a light dusting of snow, not the awful amount they've gotten in upstate New York.

We've always been fortunate to have good neighbors, too--how nice of yours to take your garbage out! But I hope the other neighbor realizes what you are doing for him and starts doing it himself.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I love spider webs, especially dew-laced.

And yes, I have great neighbors. Very friendly.

Expat mum said...

We had one (a spider) that made a web aver our front door every night. I felt awful having to bash it to get out of the house.

Wisewebwoman said...

Poor question to ask me right now as there is a mammoth, endless "pit of blackest despair" being dug for the last 3 months on the once forest laden hill next door.

However, I try and focus on the good neighbours and I try to be one.

I love your bin story.

XO
WWW

Rethink Street said...

We have a couple of neighbours who wheel each others bins back after the collection, or sometimes I wheel their's back. Most useful is being able to peer out at the neighbours' bins to see whether it's black or green bin day - I never remember! Hope all is well with you. x

Sally Wessely said...

Yes, we have excellent neighbors. I'm grateful for that. I'm glad you have good neighbors also.

I guarantee you that no roses are blooming here. How nice that you are having mild weather.