Tuesday 2 December 2014

Dual Carriage (way)?


My two granddaughters are of dual heritage (Anglo/Japanese) and strangely enough, most of their favourite friends over the years are also of mixed race, in various forms. They obviously feel akin to people whose parents come from two different lands, even if it seems to be at a subconscious level.
It really doesn't seem to have bothered them in any way, but as my youngest and her friends are now nearing ten, there are obviously some questions being asked.
My friend, Audrey, recently told me that nine year old, Ruby, who is a beautiful coffee colour, began to ask her, "Mummy, am I black or white?"
Audrey explained in depth about Ruby's mixed heritage and thought, well that was that, as she seemed satisfied with her answer.
However, Ruby was later overheard to be saying something to her sister that included the remark, "......after all, I am dual carriage."


16 comments:

Shammickite said...

Love that remark! People of mixed heritage don't get half as much attention as they used to. There's far more acceptance now, a good thing IMHO!

Rethink Street said...

Ha ha cute story. Nice to see you again Maggie!

Maggie May said...

RETHINK STREET........ sorry but your blog isn't allowing me to leave a comment!
I keep trying.
Maggie x

Hilary said...

That's so cute. And I have to agree with Shammie's observations. And opinion. :)

Gosia said...

I like yout post very much.. I believe your garandadughters are wonderful

Brian Miller said...

dual carriage...ha...how cute...i think that it will be good for them to learn more their dual heritage...and i think it only adds all the more spice to the family....

Sally Wessely said...

That is a cute story.

Jackie said...

Sweet words from your Grand...and I always love to ponder on a child's words. They run deep...and wise.
Hugs and love,
Jackie

Rethink Street said...

Oh sorry you can't comment on my blog - I haven't changed any of the settings so I'm puzzled. Oh well, Blogger acts strangely sometimes. I hope it sorts itself out soon! Have a nice day x

Rose said...

Ha, ha, what a cute story:) Aren't kids wonderful? If only everyone could be as accepting and color-blind as they are. The world would be a much better place.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Race is such an artificial construct - the more blending there is, the more I hope we can get away from categories.

Anonymous said...

Dual carriage - I love it!

Wisewebwoman said...

I truly dislike this identifying by race/colour/gender and read an interesting article about it recently. We are all so anxious to file and classify and it begs the question why.

We are all born without these constructs until they are forced upon us.

XO
WWW

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I just love the innocence of children, Maggie.

Very best wishes to you and your family for Christmas and the new year.

Shammickite said...

If you have time, have a quick look at my blog post about the Farm Equipment parade, there's a video there that might make you laugh, just plug your ears!

Suldog said...

It would be such a nicer world if we all retained the simpler acceptance of most children.