Sunday 16 August 2015

Join the Shaun Trail


For the last month in Bristol, Aardman Animations have inspired the production of 70 Shaun The Sheep life sized models that have been beautifully decorated by different artists and they've been scattered all around the city and outskirts.
London had 50 of their own on display earlier this year.  They will all eventually be auctioned off individually for large sums of money that will be donated to the children's hospitals. 

People have come from other countries especially to join the *Shaun In The City* trail as well as  Bristol citizens and visitors from all over Britain. Many have even bought an application for their phones, which brings in more money for the charity.

Because of our depressing situation with Harry during the past few months, my daughter has been coming to see him far more frequently than normal and we've been very grateful for the Shaun Trail to take our minds off things. We've visited parts of Bristol that we didn't know and would probably never have got to know without the Shauns. Wherever we've been, we've had to wait our turn to view and photograph these models because of the scores of visitors that are doing the same thing. Some of them have asked us to take their photo with the Shaun. Adults as well as children of all ages have been following this trail and it's surprising how many conversations we've had when people see us with a map. "Oh, are you looking for the next Shaun? It's just round the corner." 
This kind of venture not only brings in money for expensive scanners that the hospitals will be able to buy, but it's good for tourism and brings people together as well as helping us to keep fit by walking the different trails. Some of them are easy but others more challenging.
At the end of the month, the Bristol and the London Shauns will be on display together in a large Bristol venue and I intend to visit them with a friend. 
So I for one, am very grateful for this distraction. However, now I've found all 70 Shauns what next?


16 comments:

Gosia said...

I love your photos it makes me love. And nice memories from childhood. Take care.

Eddie Bluelights said...

Well done for finding the 70.
Great idea, isn't it.
And it is surprising how people latch on to the hunt and it is a unifying factor with a common goal and a very sociable thing to do, as well as an excellent way to generate money for the children's hospitals.

I live a little outside Bristol but perhaps next year I might join the hunt on whatever features at that time . .

Thinking of you and Harry ~ Eddie xx

My new little grand daughter, Rosa, is doing well . . . :)

Rose said...

What fun! This would be something my grandkids would enjoy--I can see how this brings people together, both families and strangers. Glad you are getting to see your daughter more frequently and that you have a chance to take some adventures like this while she's there. Thinking, as always, of you and Harry.

Shammickite said...

I suppose this something to do with the Shaun the Sheep movie that I saw advertised the other day. And of course the animation studio is in Bristol isn't it? I like the idea of a Shaun on every corner. Toronto had painted moose a few years ago, and I think Chicago had cows.
Thinking of you and Harry.... and I'm glad that Shaun has been somewhat of a distraction for you.

MARY G said...

What a great idea. And I am so glad it is fun for you. Maybe more will appear? I love the photo and might enjoy making a stuffed one.

Sally Wessely said...

That is a great story.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Those are adorable. We had a series like that here but of black bears. I'm glad you have the distraction adn your daughter's company.

Suburbia said...

You're right Maggie, they have bought much delight to all sorts of people and are a great distraction.

I've not been here for a while, my thoughts often with you though.

x

mrsnesbitt said...

We are currently organising a scarecrow festival, a hunt is part of the plan so I found this very interesting.

cheshire wife said...

Pleased to see that you are managing to enjoy the lighter side of life.

You are often in my thoughts.

CWx

Wisewebwoman said...

Good that your daughter shares some of the burden with you and that you can be happy in your discovery trailing :)

XO
WWW

Working Mum said...

Brilliant! What a lovely idea. We had decorated cows in Manchester when we had the Commonwealth Games and it's funny to see them turn up in different places now they've all gone from the City (we even saw one at Norton Priory!). Wonder where the sheep will end up?

LL Cool Joe said...

I loved the colourful cow parade, but have not seen the Shaun the Sheep trail at all. They look really good. I wouldn't mind one in my front garden. :D

Beryl Ament said...

We here have had frogs and fish in past years. They later turned up in various places, tho' I do not know if they were auctioned off. That's a great idea. Good to see that Harry's problems have not entirely overwhelmed you.

Akelamalu said...

Oooooh I love those! I remember when Manchester had beautifully decorated life size cows all over the place which people could bid on. I so wanted one but they were well out of my price range.

Jackie said...

How wonderful! They are delightful to the eye....and I imagine much fun to find for oneself. You know I would be there with my camera in hand for each one that I found...(if only I weren't across the pond!)
Sending you much love, Maggie.
Always....
Much love,
Jackie