Wednesday 13 October 2010

The Duck Pond

Photos Copyright: Maggie May

Not that long ago, Harry and I had just finished lunch when the phone rang. It was our eldest granddaughter, Amber. "Would you like to come to feed the ducks with us?" She asked.
After enquiring which ducks and where, it was arranged that they would pick me up in an hour or so. Granddad wanted a quiet afternoon by himself.
When Sam and the girls arrived, they realised that they had forgotten the bread so we took some of Granddad's best wholemeal and off we went.

After a twenty minute drive, we arrived in a large sort of wasteland area with lots of paths that twisted in different directions. The duck pond was a place they had frequented before and we eventually stumbled upon it by taking one of those paths.


The ducks soon made short work of Granddad's bread and then the novelty wore off.
However, we had noticed blackberry bushes on the way down to the pond and we planned to pick some of the fat juicy ones. Unfortunately, they were situated in hard to reach places and Sam managed to get his legs torn.
We only had a flimsy polythene bag that the bread had been brought in and that started to split under the weight of the berries.
We had to be really careful not to lose the fruit that had caused me to snag my trousers on top of scratching Sam's leg. We'd spent a long time picking them so they seemed too precious to lose in the brambles.

It was suggested that I make a blackberry and apple crumble for them when we got home. The apples were pulled from an overhanging tree on the walk to the car.
It only took an hour to make and bake the crumble, which was delicious.

Although I hadn't expected to bake that afternoon or provide the ducks' bread, or go out anywhere for that matter....... I really was pleased that Amber had suggested taking me.
Sometimes, it is the ordinary little things in life that provide the most pleasure.
What little things do you enjoy doing most?

Can any one identify the plant in the top picture? It is obviously a weed and was quite prolific on the wasteland near the duckpond. It looked very pretty.






26 comments:

Brian Miller said...

ha. what fun...feeding the ducks and berry picking...my boys love to feed the ducks...when we lived in MD though we had to get on top of the picnic table they were so vicious...the crumble sounds nice...the leg looks like it may hurt...

Hilary said...

Oh that sounds like an unexpectedly lovely day.. with a wonderful treat at the end. Yum!

The plant looks like Himalayan Impatiens or Touch Me Nots. I did a post about them at this time last year which explains why they're called Touch Me Nots.

Unfortunately, I don't have an image of the flower itself but you can Google the name and see for sure if that's what it is. If so, it's too bad you didn't know about the pods at the time because the kids would have had a lot of fun popping them.

Here's the link.
http://thesmittenimage.blogspot.com/2009/10/on-my-recent-walks-around-few-different.html

Sueann said...

Ouch!! That had to sting! Your crumble sounded so good! Made me drool!
Fresh flowers, given for no reason make me feel special!! Love that!
Hugs
SueAnn

Ayak said...

Going out into the garden early in the morning and watching the sun rise always gives me pleasure.

Lovely post Maggie xx

larkswing said...

Isn't it great how a change in plans can end up being just the right change. Sounds like a sweet time was had with family. Sometimes just sitting outside and listening to the birds and crickets is just what I need. :)

Rose said...

I agree, Maggie--sometimes the best days are those that are unplanned and often simple. Spending time with your grandaughters and son and feeding the ducks sounds like a special afternoon. The blackberry crumble sounds yummy, and I hope it was worth the pain of getting those blackberries!

I see Hilary has identified your plant for you--when a "weed" is this pretty, I call it a wildflower:)

christopher said...

I also think spontaneous moments of recreation and pleasure are the best.

Expat mum said...

I love making crumble. It hardly ever goes wrong!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like all sorts of fun - the kind of day that grandchildren will remember for a long time.

david mcmahon said...

Very precious moments to be treasured by all of you, dear Maggie.

CiCi said...

I love sharing in the family adventures with you.

Gail Is This Mutton? said...

You're right Maggie that it's ordinary little things that give pleasure. I always loved picking blackberries with my mum and dad, years ago, but for the last few years I also seem to miss them!

I love going to the bluebell wood....and I love planting my bulbs in the autumn, knowing what a blaze of colour they will provide after the dreariness of winter.

Jeni said...

The dessert sounds really good but boy, that's a nasty bramble scratch on the back of the leg there. One of the consequences of blackberry picking is simply safely getting to the fruit!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Sometimes it is the unexpected moments that are the most treasured of all!!!! Sounds like you had a beautiful day!!!! I wish I could have joined you!!! Especially for the crumble...LOL...You are a fantastic grandmother, and your granddaughters are very fortunate!!! That scratch looks nasty...I hope it heals quickly...Glad you didn't get scratched!! Gorgeous "weed"...and a terrific photo!! Love you!! Janine XO

Akelamalu said...

Oooh fruit crumble is so quick and easy to make but tastes just delicious doesn't it?

The most unexpected outtings are usually the best. :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, nasty cuts, germolene!!

Lovely pictures, I love a pond, we have two on the farm and we love to go down to them and feed the ducks, although there aren't very many ducks as when they hear someone about they tend to think of orange sauce!!

You have made me feel extremely hungry, that crumble sounds divine.

CJ xx

Working Mum said...

I'm so glad you mentioned those flowers. I saw loads of them in Summer and took some photos with the intention of trying to identify them. They seem to have sprouted from nowhere as I don't remember them from my childhood. Off to google "Touch me nots" now, thanks Hilary.

Maggie May said...

THANKS, HILARY........ I HAVE FOUND OUT .... that we call this plant HIMALAYAN BALSAM, over here.
It can be a bit of a thug, apparently but it is very pretty. Not for the garden, maybe!
Maggie X

Hadriana's Treasures said...

Silly things like...putting the children to bed and reading them stories. Like you, I like everyday things! Lovely post. Maggie :)

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Have a wonderful weekend, dear Maggie!!! Love, Janine XO

Along These Lines ... said...

Ouch. Looks like your legs forgot to duck in the duckpond.

secret agent woman said...

Youch on those leg scratches. But I love feeding ducks and geese.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

A lovely afternoon, the more so for being unexpected. And delicious blackberry and apple crumble to finish the afternoon, what more could you ask. (I made one yesterday).
Those scratches look sore though!

Joey said...

I'm glad you went to feed the ducks with Amber and Sam.

I love blackberries. My husband buys them for me at the grocery store. I always mean to make a crumble but they all gone before I get one made.

I wish Jack lived closer to us. He is too small to call us, but I love to call him. We're going to a High Football game this Friday night as a family.

Go Allen Eagles!

RNSANE said...

That blackberry and apple crumble sound absolutely wonderful. Piie on some vanilla ice cream and I'm really moaning and groaning.

I am glad not to have my legs all scratched up, though.

RNSANE said...

That blackberry and apple crumble sound absolutely wonderful. Piie on some vanilla ice cream and I'm really moaning and groaning.

I am glad not to have my legs all scratched up, though.