Sunday 17 October 2010

Sitting Round My Table

Photo Copyright: Maggie May

I don't know what it is about my back room that makes everyone want to stay in there when they visit me.
I have very comfortable seating in the front room and the decorations there are pleasing and its quiet and peaceful.

My back room, on the other hand is badly in need of being redecorated and the carpets need to be replaced as they have seen better days. I have a rabbit run in that room, as well as a cage.
In the centre of this room is a round table that seems to be the dumping ground for any old leaflets and papers that come through the doors as well as things that the children bring back from school. All waiting to be sorted.
I try to get rid of the clutters regularly, but as fast as I do so, another load of things come in from my son, the girls or the school.
It is a bit frustrating at times as I was a much tidier person once upon a time when things were put in their place.
It never ceases to amaze me that most people actually choose to sit round this table amongst the general clutter.

One such friend is Audrey.
I first met Audrey when my youngest granddaugher Millie and Audrey's youngest daughter Jade, started to bond together in Nursery school.
They were attracted to each other very quickly and that did seem to help them both to settle down and enjoy life there, every afternoon, five days a week.
Amber had already been through a Reception class and had picked up English fairly well, though at first she hadn't been able to express herself easily and used to think that others could understand her Japanese.

I think Audrey must have moved to Bristol from another region around that time and she was just one of several mothers that I chatted to in the playground.
My family lived with me for almost a year when they came back from Japan, so that I was involved in the school run (and seeing the children when I was at work in the same school at lunch times) right from the beginning.
Eventually, the girls started seeing each other out of school and that was when Amber first began to notice Nadine (the oldest of Audrey's children) and they all seemed to get on very well together. Nadine is a year or so older than Amber, so she is really looked up to by my grandchildren.

Audrey is the friend who looked after my house and rabbit when we went away in the summer. She says that she will be willing to do it again even though we are adding another bunny to our household soon. She is not over the top with rabbits and I think she can take them or leave them, but isn't afraid to get her hands dirty and clean out their trays and she even got a nip on the arm once from Ash for her trouble. That was in the days before he calmed down after being neutered.
It is really good to have someone like this who can be trusted with the house keys and precious pets.

Audrey made my day recently, when she sat round my table one morning, feeling quite sad about something or other, but after a cuppa and a long chat, she said, "Oh I do love sitting round your table like this..... you make me laugh!"
That is quite a compliment, don't you think?
So maybe I shouldn't worry so much about the heaps of junk everywhere because in the end, it is people that matter most......... and of course, rabbits.





32 comments:

Expat mum said...

I'm sitting here at the table in my "family room" (not my good room) and the table is a complete mess. We should all do a post about the messy table. I have half a robot (halloween costume) on one end, the teenager's college applications at the other, and an umbrella! Not sure what it's doing there either!

Bernie said...

So true my dear friend, we always gather round the kitchen table over sitting in the living room. The kitchen table is much warmer and personal.....Hope you and Harry are well.........:-) Hugs

Rose said...

I'm sure Audrey felt comfortable and welcome at your table, Maggie, which is indeed a compliment to you. I find that people always sit around our kitchen table, too, when they come over. And, of course, it's always full of clutter! Hubby babysat for our youngest grandchild today while I attended his sister's cheer/dance contest. I came home to a table full of crumbs and crayons--but that makes me smile:)

Ann Best said...

That is definitely a table I would like to sit around and visit with family members, friends. It looks so inviting, messy or not!!
Ann

Celia said...

Sounds like that room is where your life happens and people are drawn to that. Warm, relaxing, sounds good to me.

MARY G said...

If there is a flat surface in my house without clutter, you can be sure that someone will take advantage of it very quickly. However, does cut down on the dusting, hmm?
I'm glad you have a rabbit-sitting friend.

Marguerite said...

I gave up a long time ago on controlling the clutter on my table, so I know what you mean. Audrey sounds like a delightful person and friend and it's great to know someone you can trust with your home and pets.

Jackie said...

Maggie...it's YOU that your visitors find pleasing! Your surroundings are lovely...but I suspect that it is the "keeper of the table" that makes your company feel welcome and warm. Love and hugs to you!!!!
Jackie

Ayak said...

I have always gathered roun d the kitchen table either in my home or the homes of very good friends. I think it happens because of the sense of informality with good friend...its a comfortable feeling.
Audrey sounds like a very good friend...one to treasure.

Happy Frog and I said...

I agree with teacher's pet, it's you they feel comfortable around I'm sure. However, there is nothing like a room with a good feeling to draw people in and make them feel comfortable and welcome.

CiCi said...

There is something enjoyable about sitting at a round table and chatting over a cup of tea or coffee. For me, I have a round table and prefer the softness of the round and not the corners. Your friend Audrey sounds like a good friend. I like the look of your table and having stuff on it is even welcoming.

Hilary said...

For warm conversations, a table is so welcoming. A cluttered room is comforting.. you can relax. And of course having a critter in there would be a bonus for me. Like Frank's son said (which I quoted in a semi-recent post) "it's a beautiful mess!"

cheshire wife said...

That sounds like our kitchen table. It is always cluttered up with something. Without clutter life would be so bare, don't you think.

Irene said...

It sounds like your cluttered table, with you beside it, is just where people want to be. You must make them feel awfully comfortable and cozy. I wish I could come and sit with you.

Anonymous said...

Laughter and rabbits are far more important than a bit of clutter... I should know, my house is full of it!

Joey said...

I think it was a great compliment, Maggie. I would love to have a table like yours, but we just don't room for one.

We do have clutter, but it's my husband's so I move to the office and close the door. I write in small sitting room off the kitchen and living area. The dogs hang with me there, like your rabbits.

You make me happy!

Gail Is This Mutton? said...

Sounds like a room with a good vibe, particularly if it resounds with laughter.

Jules~ said...

Hi Maggie. I agree. I think that is a wonderful compliment. I know, gone are the days when everything was organized and everything had a proper place. But I too have one of those round tables and it seems to bring everyone into our home continuously. Doesn't it feel good to know that the laughter, games, whispers and meals are such greater treasures?

Hadriana's Treasures said...

Thank you for writing this Maggie. I've just stood on two tomatoes in the kitchen. Little boy has done a wee on a toy and a chair. The place is a tip.

Long gone are the days when I had an immaculate little house in Richmond.

But still, like yours, this place is noisy, warm, full of love and laughter! I know which I prefer. :)

Suldog said...

Some rooms - and some people - are just tremendously comfortable. You, and your room, obviously qualify!

Eddie Bluelights said...

We all have to have some working documents as I can them, but they tend to grow in number by the day!! That's my excuse ~ Eddie x

Dimple said...

Yes, it is people that matter most. I think it would be delightful to sit around your back room table with you over a cup of tea and the clutter. I would feel right at home!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

It is obviously homely Maggie - and that is what most people like in spite of all the "makeovers" going on! Most homes have a room where visitors love to linger. I think that makes it special. A x

Sniffles and Smiles said...

YES!!!! It is people that matter most...I will call you Mary...(of Mary and Martha of biblical fame) because you TRULY know what is important!!! And of course, you are a lover of rabbits ;-)) People feel comfortable and at home round your table...and that's the most important thing in the world...and a high compliment!!! Love you!! Janine XO

rosecreekcottage-carol.blogspot.com said...

There's something rather comforting and 'homey' about sitting round a round table. It reminds me of my sweet Aunt Kay. She died last year and I miss her greatly. So nice you have someone who will watch the pets and house while you're away. That's a blessing~

Anonymous said...

We have a similar thing, our kitchen table. Always used for visitors and even if I offer to take something through the house to the lounge they aren't bothered about leaving the kitchen! You are a warm person, maybe that's picked up in the atmosphere of that room.

CJ xx

secret agent woman said...

Guess that room just feels homier! My kids and I spend the vast majority of our time in the small, dark cluttered den - it just seems like family in there.

She's like the wind said...

Hi Maggie, it's been a long time and I've just read your update on the side of your blog, hope you're doing OK, I'll need to go back and read all your posts to catch up x I like to sit round a table with a cuppa and chat to friends and I think if the place is a mess you feel more comfortable and you have somewhere to sit your cup without stretching! nothing worse than going into a beautifully tidy room where you are frightened to upset anything and then tables have to be brought out for the tea etc etc. I brought my table that had been in the conservatory into the livingroom because we hardly used it and it got dumped on, I don't dump paper piles on it but I do dump the ironing!!!

Suburbia said...

There is definitely nothing as good as sitting around a table with a good friend and a cuppa, having a good old natter.

RNSANE said...

I have a feeling, dear Maggie May, that it is wherever you are, that folks want to congregate. You are that special person that just draws us to you, even when we are well over five thousand miles away. I feel like I am sitting in that room, around your table, sipping a cup of tea, while Ash scampers about. I am glad you have good friends around you, nearby and far away.

Brian Miller said...

smiles. table were made to be sat at with close friends...while some may thing it a barrier, it just seems to break through to the real stuff...smiles.

www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

My house used to be messy and now it's not. I know which I prefer. I love a house full of children.