Wednesday 30 April 2008

Looking After The Girls




This is a picture of Millie with her favourite book! We have read it over and over again.
All those who have read Sam's blog will know that his wife, Kaiko, has a full time job now and he has been looking after the girls. However, for the last week or two he has also been offered work for two days a week on a temporary basis.
Friday is no problem as that is my day off, so I was able to take Amber to school in the morning and pick her up again in the afternoon. I decided to take Millie to the local library where they have a mother and baby session a bit like a play group. I went in with all the other Mums and sang the songs with hand actions and supervised a collage (ours was the best!) They all had a story and then had drinks and fruit. Followed by another story and then it was time to go! All that for 50p! very good value, I thought.
The other mums looked at me bemused! Of course they knew this child could not possibly be mine!
I rather enjoyed the time in the library and intend to go again next time I have Millie. She walked a long way home but I had taken the push chair just in case she refused to walk, as she sometimes does and my back would suffer if I had to carry her.

However on Thursday, I had to work. So Grandad had to look after Millie after I had taken Amber to school. I was just a bit worried about him but I needn't have, as when I got home for my lunch, Grandad & Millie were sitting at the table painting! Grandad was doing quite an intricate painting and in all the years we've been together, I had no idea that he was such a neat painter! 
When I went to my second job, I wondered if his patience would run out. However, he collected Amber from school and took the two of them quite a long way to the park and lifted them on and off swings and roundabouts. He even had to climb up some netting to rescue one of them when they got stuck!
They were all three of them falling asleep around tea time.
I think this child minding is giving us a new lease of life!

23 comments:

Laura Jane Williams said...

Can grandad keep inside the lines? Because that is a skill that has always eluded me!

Cath said...

It might give you and Sam a new lease of life if it makes them all fall asleep by teatime! And if you have found a way of getting men and / or children to play nicely then fall asleep just as we get home from work - BOTTLE IT and SELL IT!!! You'd make a fortune!

Thanks for coming by mine - but as Daryl was excused by virtue of having previously done this particular meme, you are officially the fifth. Sorry! You're tagged!

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Hi again Maggie, what a lovely time you are both having with those little scraps. I love the sound of the Library excursion, and the book is similar to one that my Grandson kept by his bed for ages. Happy days! M xx

Liz Hinds said...

What a great grandma and grandad to have! Lucky children.

Jamie Dawn said...

Hello, and thanks for visiting my blog.
Children are such a joy!!!
What a fun book, and such interesting content, I am sure.
:-)

aims said...

Some grandads are the best aren't they? Then there is that bastard that is in the news right now...makes you want to run to the other end of the earth doesn't it?

I think the electric chair would be too good for him....

Unknown said...

How sweet! I never knew either one of my grandpa's and I always thought it would have been the neatest thing to have one!

Those girls are so lucky to have two such great gradparents!

Maggie May said...

Girl with the mask........ yes, very neat!

Crazy Cath........Yes, when they all fall asleep can get on with blogging! The tag is being prepared!

A mother's place........ yes, they are little brighteners of our day!

Liz....... gee, thanks!

Jamie Dawn......... thanks for the visit! Contents of book, known off by heart!

Aims, isn't that grandfather appalling? Can't believe the rest of the family knew nothing!

Bina .......... thanks! We are lucky too.

Suburbia said...

Oh that's so lovely. Especially after he had a grump in the museum the other week!

Dusty Spider said...

Noodle's grandad is always asleep by the end of the day too! It's exhausting but oh what fun! Flick x

Anonymous said...

Look, if your husband wants a job, send him to my pre-K classroom.

Baba said...

Hi Maggie, what a refreshing blog you have here...My first visit , but not my last...our grandkids make us feel young and full of life..I have 14 grands and 2 great-grands...retired and loving my new hobby of blogging.

Irene said...

Granddad is surprising me and everybody amazingly well, but I think you are all doing a great job living together and getting on so well.

I see I have some posts to catch up on. I have not been reading blogs for a few days. There has been much on my mind!

Thank you for always leaving such a nice comment on my blog every day.

XOX

david mcmahon said...

Gotta love kids. We're like potty, er, putty in their hands.

Say G'day to Sam for me - please tell him I've had a VERY busy first week in my new job, but I will drop by to visit him.

Maggie May said...

Suburbia ...... yes, he has excelled himself!

Flick .... Exhausting fun!

Quilly ........ he's on his way!

Babas blog ...... welcome to my blog. Nice to see you & hope you'll be a regular visitor! I will be over to yours! What a lot of grandchildren you have! Enjoy your blogging it is a good hobby to have, if not time consuming!

Irene ....... nice to see you again on my blog! Yes Granddad is doing a very good job!

David ....... have passed on the message to Sam. good luck with the new work!

Stinking Billy said...

Why is everybody so surprised? We granddads are the salt of the earth. Nanna's are even better, of course.

Robin said...

Your grandkids are very lucky to have grandparents like both of you.

Milla said...

I'm sure one of the best bits about children is the picture books - Tony Ross a particular favourite.

Maggie May said...

Stinking Billy .......... Yeah,, you know that's true!

Robin ....... Thanks!

Milla ....... children's books are great! Well illustrated too!

Suburbia said...

Thanks for your comment at mine Maggie.

Mean Mom said...

It is good that you live close enough to be able to share that sort of everyday 'stuff' with your grandchildren and they are lucky to have you.

Carolyn said...

I am SO impressed. Child minding is exhausting, so I applaud you and Grandad for taking on such a task. Your son and his wife must be extremely grateful. Way to go!

Maggie May said...

Mean mom .... well yes.... it is a bit easier than Japan! We are making up for lost time.

Carolyn ..... not sure about the grateful thing..... but they know they are in safe hands!