Sunday 28 June 2009

Secret Places



Not long ago I was beside myself with worry because of the problem that I had with rodents of the largest variety, nesting in my roof cavities and the whole roof had to be taken off and rebuilt. We found five dead rats up there that had come in via a concealed hole that couldn't be seen from outside. It was a crafty way in from next door's side that nobody would have guessed was there. Once settled the squatters had chewed up insulation and nibbled through live wiring and could have caused a fire.
If you look at the first photo, you will see a new hole, discovered only last week, when the men were hacking off plaster from the inside walls. It was a grim discovery as two more dead rats were found in there, mummified. They had obviously fallen in this hole and had been in there a long time. One of them was quite a giant, the grandfather of all rats, I should think! You should have seen the teeth. I didn't take photos so you are spared seeing them. They were quickly bagged up and disposed of.



Not long ago, the back of the house looked like this, and my garden was taken over by the scaffolding and was in deep shade most of the time. It was disheartening to see the disaster that all this caused to my plants.
I am somewhat amazed at how blue the sky looked then because I can remember some bad downpours that flooded the kitchen, even though we had the scaffolding canopy over the top.



This was the strange position I found myself in when there was a new roof on top of the kitchen but the old ceiling was still in place. It had all been cleaned from above and two holes cut because of the roof windows being put in there. The men did the job slowly like this, so that I wouldn't have be roofless while it was being done, as security might have been difficult with so many of us coming and going all the time. It also prevented the mess from coming down into the kitchen, as it was all cleaned away from the top.



However after the men had cleaned and removed the ceiling, I was able to see just how much loftier and lighter it was going to be in there.
My kitchen is still a long way from being normal again and I will have to wait for new units.
The men only ever agreed to get rid of the rats, you see, not to do a major revamp inside!



The outside is now fairly, clean looking and the scaffolding has been removed. I like the cedar wood on top that my son put up. However we decided, round the problem corner in next door's garden, to use brickwork and thick rendering and I would like to know how anything could get in there now. This is not a challenge to any rat reading this blog though!

Looking from the bedroom window upstairs the new roof looks really secure, so I am extremely pleased I decided to *risk* letting the two men in my life take on this task. I say to both of them, " Jolly well done and thank you!"




25 comments:

Nessa said...

Wow, so much work going on. Thanks for not showing us the rats.

Irene said...

You've got nice new windows, Maggie and a solid looking roof and personally, I would have liked to have seen the grandfather of all rats. I like horrible things like that.

Hugs,
Irene

MarmiteToasty said...

ya plants will regrow, it was important that you got the kitchen sussed and sorted though....

I have those skylights in my kitchen ceiling to...... only the inside of mine has all the beams showing like a little barn....

WOOOO HOOOO no more rats..

x

Brian Miller said...

love the look of the roof. enjoy the sun lights as well, always gives ours such natural light, open and airy.

Eddie Bluelights said...

Love the roof vents Maggie - it will be much lighter for you.
The giant rat reminds me of Beatrix Potter's "A tale of Samuel Whiskers" - he was a giant of a rat.
What a shame you did not take a photo! or did you? Go on post it and watch all the ladies flee for cover - and the gents!!
Hope you have no further troubles.
Guess what I've just been watching?
Fawlty Towers last episode - the rat! What a coincidence ~ Eddie

Salute said...

Those bedroom window upstairs looks really nice. I know that you are very pleased with the outcome.

larkswing said...

So glad that your rodent issue is resolved! All the work looks great!

Hilary said...

What a relief it must be to know that your rat woes are in the past. I just can't imagine how you lived with it as you did. You must have nerves of steel.

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

This looks amazing - all worth it in the end I hope. Gross about the mummified rats - yueeek!

SandyCarlson said...

The work looks like an excellent job! I hope the uninvited dudes stay away!

Maggie May said...

i love gardens that go a little wild :)

Expat mum said...

It's been quite the journey hasn't it?

Rose said...

Looks like they did a great job, Maggie May! I do like the new skylights; you're going to enjoy all the light in your kitchen, especially now that you know you won't be seeing a rat as well:) Thanks for not showing us the mummified remains.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

It does look good Maggie. You will have extra light in your "new" kitchen too. Your garden will soon recover - job well done! A x

Indrani said...

Great relief indeed. I wonder how the grand father rat would have look like.

www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

It is all looking good Maggie and the rats are (hopefully) a thing of the past. Onward and upward.

® ♫ The Brit ♪ ® said...

It all looks so wonderful Maggie! And it doesn't seem long ago since you were deciding what to do! I'm so pleased to see that it all looks so positive!
And I'm also thankful for not being shown any photo of a dead giant rat with vampire teeth as I am eating my lunch as I am writing this! hahahahaha
Big Hugs! XX

Helena said...

And I thought teenagers were the worst sort of pests!!

What a lot of work, but a lot of relief, too!

Unknown said...

How wonderful to have those windows in there!!! I'm sure that will make such a major difference, and it's so pretty! It's been a long time in the making, huh? Is your garden doing better now?

Anonymous said...

Awww, Maggie! Fancy sparing us of pictures of the dead rats!! You're a kind woman. And the roof looks fab, well done indeed.

CJ xx

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

I am so happy you have gotten rid of those horrible rats. I had a similiar problem with one crawling around in the crawl space when they were redoing this house. I would wrap myself up in the covers so if he dared to get on the bed I would be covered. You roof looks great now. I don't understand the reason for rats and their filth, but God must have a plan for them. I just pray I never have to get up close and personal with them.

Mickle in NZ said...

Well done, May Men!

Maggie - the skylights are a great idea and I really like the cedar trim.

Rat free at last. Good luck for the rest of your new kitchen.

VioletSky said...

Skylights in the kitchen - wonderful! I can imagine it was rough not having your sanctuary in the garden.

cheshire wife said...

It looks like a job well done. Let's hope that the rats are now history.

San said...

It feels so unsettling to have your home torn apart, but this project was well worth it. Rats. UGH.