Sunday, 28 November 2010


Photocopyright: Maggie May

Usually, when Harry says, "You brought it all on yourself," it may not necessarily be true. However, this time he is probably right.

There were the most terrible crashing sounds coming from the rabbit cage this morning but by the time I had been summoned to investigate, the rabbits were sitting side by side licking each other as though butter wouldn't melt in their mouths.

For a little while, I have been a bit suspicious that Ash was getting bullied and sometimes Lily sits on his food so that he can't eat it.
She is very heavy handed and pushes him around.
However, he is besotted with her and goes back to her as though she is a kind of goddess.
I get a bit annoyed that he won't stick up for himself.

Now she has really started to hassle him. She means business. She wants to be mated.
She nips his rear end and throws herself at him.
Her behaviour is quite disgusting!
Poor Ash is overwhelmed by these advances. He is like a little boy with a promiscuous hussy!

Sometimes she goes into a sulk. Other times she uses violence.
These hormones are really kicking in and they are powerful.
I had thought a doe would come into season every now and then and get a bit moody, but no....... female rabbits are continually ready for any advances they can get. All the time, every day, every night.
That saying about *breeding like rabbits* is true. They seem to be very passionate creatures.

That makes it difficult. I cannot be with them all the time to rescue Ash.
If I separate them he is frantic with anxiety. He adores her but is overwhelmed by her sometimes violent passion.

Theres only one thing for it. She will have to be spayed.
Do I need this hassle right now? Can I cope with this just before Christmas?
I can't forget how ill Ash was after his operation and a female would have to face bigger surgery and trauma. Also a rabbit mustn't stop eating or it could go anorexic and die and I should think there was a risk Lily might go off her food after an ordeal like that.
Although she has obviously reached sexual maturity, she is still very tiny and not five months old for a month or so. That is the age that the vet reckoned was the time to do it.
For the next couple of weeks I have got quite a few commitments, appointments and social events, as well as work and the grandchildren. My daughter is coming for Christmas so the house will be full.

I know I have brought this all on my self but I really don't need to be told this quite so often.
So come on folk...... what shall I do?
Risk getting her spayed now or wait and hope Ash doesn't get hurt or traumatised till the end of January?


Irene said...

That's a very difficult question, Maggie. I don't know enough about rabbits, but it seems to me that Lily stands the greatest risk right now, so maybe you should wait. It reminds me of Tyke who is always trying to mate with the cat and I constantly have to interfere. It does get tiring. She does put up a struggle and cries. He needs to get neutered soon, but I have to wait a while. Maybe you can put it off for just a while longer.

Eddie Bluelights said...

Poor Ash! She's probably taunting him in rabbit language, "Call yourself a man?". The poor little chap! Hei's probably saying, "I would my dear but I was taken to the vet!"
Can't blame her either, she is probably wondering why she is not attractive to him. He is content with a little cuddle. I think the answer must be to have her spayed but I'm not sure whether she will forget the urges she has even if she has that done. Is there anything on the website ti help.
Oh the problems with the birds and the bees . . . .and the rabbits.
See ya ~ Eddie x

Jackie said...

Oh..I do hope someone that has rabbits will respond and give you advice, dear Maggie. It is a frustrating situation for you...and for your two sweet rabbits. I will be back to find out what you will do regarding Lily. Love to you, Maggie....

Anonymous said...

Over here in Sweden, they spay rabbits. Female and male. Doesn't seem to be too much of a problem... hope that is of some comfort. (My friends has two spayed females.)

Mimi said...

Oh poor you, Maggie, this is a hard situation.
I think you were unlucky with Ash; we had Crash spayed at a young age and he wasn't unwell at all. Friends who had rabbits also had no unpleasant experiences.
I know what you're saying about it being a bigger op. for Lily, but hopefully she'll be ok.
Anyway, whichever way you decide, I think it'll be hard on you too, so look after yourself as well.

Your description of the goings on had me in stitches, even though I know it's not really funny.

Bernie said...

I have no idea Maggie, what does the vet advise? If you are going to worry about them during the holidays I think I would just get it done. Good Luck sweetie, hope you and Harry are well....:-)Hugs

San said...

Oh no, what a dilemma, Maggie. I have no experience with rabbits, so I suppose my advice would be "go with your intuition."

Wendy said...

Oh, I like San's advice. That's what I normally say too. Go with your intuition.

When I first started reading this, I was laughing! Until I got to the end and realized you really are in a pickle. I think I'd dump it on my children when they arrive. LOL! What I mean is ask them. Maybe one of them will take the rabbit to the vet for you (but they'd probably be closed for the holidays by then, so it's not really a good idea - {sighhh}).

Anonymous said...

get her spayed she will be fine or just let them be together in he day

Happy Frog and I said...

Oh dear, and it all seemed to be going so well to! I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing on the subject but I did want to comment and leave my support. Hope it all gets sorted out OK.

VioletSky said...

hmmm, I don't know much about rabbits, but I have one female cat that was slow to recover plus one that had a complete personality change and two who bounced back immediately as if they had been on holiday, so you really can't say how they will react to the surgery.
I would risk going for it, for both their sakes.

Expat mum said...

First, I would ask a couple of vets. Our mutt was spayed just before we got her at 9 months and I was surprised at how quickly she recovered. We had to have a plastic cone around her head for a week but it didn't seem to bother her. Her wound healed in days and she didn't seem to suffer much from having had such an op.
If you leave them as they are now, you're going to worry for over a month anyway!

Moannie said...

Oh dear me! What a little hussy. Could you not put them in separate cages, but side by side.

You won't believe tis but the veri word is : sortem. hehe!

Sueann said...

Well this is difficult!! I don't think you can wait with what is going on now. But surgery now seems not quite right. I would separate them for a time and see what that does.

Celia said...

Can't make the choice for you, I'd do it myself to keep the mayhem at bay. She is the right age. The Rabbit Advocates Group in Portland, Oregon, USA published this little info sheet about selecting a vet with experience. Hope that's of some help to you. Good luck with your little furry friends.

Dimple said...

I know nothing about rabbits and surgery. I would ask the vet if it was too early, because the general rule may not apply to every individual. But I also like the idea of putting them in separate cages side by side as you did when you were introducing them to each other...

secret agent woman said...

If the vet thinks it's time, I believe I'd go ahead and get it over with.

Marguerite said...

Oh my! I think that you should separate them, for both of their sakes, for the time being. And then consult with the vet. Good luck with this dilemma!

Gail Is This Mutton? said...

A difficult one, Maggie. I would get Lily spayed ASAP to restore harmony. It's a major op but they bounce back very quickly.

Mickle in NZ said...

Dear Maggie - I'm with Expat Mum and suggest you phone your vet and discuss it all.

I do think Lily needs her op sooner rather than later.

XXX Michelle, with those purrrumbles from Zebby

Akelamalu said...

The little hussy! LOL

Seriously it is probably a good idea to get her spayed, your vet will advise when is best. Good Luck.

Hilary said...

I'd ask your vet for advice but tend to agree with San to trust your instincts. I think they rarely fail you. Please keep us posted.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I can't really help Maggie except to say perhaps you should ask your vet for advice. If you leave it until January could you separate them occasionally like you did when you first had Lily. A x

Ladybird World Mother said...

My rabbit was spayed and she was only about the same age, if not younger... she is right as rain, and wasn't at all affected by it... go for it! xx

imbeingheldhostage said...

oooh, tough call. I am terrible at these kinds of decisions. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Jeni said...

I dunno Maggie but I think, as someone else said here, you're gonna worry yourself senseless over the next couple of weeks either way really, so maybe getting the spaying done asap is the best thing for everyone concerned.

Rose said...

Poor Ash! Maybe you could put Lily in a separate cage until she is old enough to be spayed. Whatever you decide, I hope it works out so that there is harmony in the rabbit hutch once again.

aims said...

I'm saying go for it Maggie. For everyone's peace of mind.

Jules~ said...

Hi Maggie. Goodness I am so sorry for the worries. I understand though and know that I would worry just as much about my own "fuzzy children".

It looks like you have gotten a lot of advice already and that is good to have so many wanting to listen and help.

I did a web search and found that sites generally say that a rabbit can be spayed when sexually mature, usually around 4 months.

Ultimately it is your decision. I know it doesn't help to have to be the decision maker as both sides seem so strong but if it helps please know that you are supported in whatever you decide.

Do have a wonderfully blessed day today.

Mignon said...

Nuter the male. It what all males should do. =)