Wednesday 4 July 2012

A Question Of Comfort



If you read my last post, you would know that at the time of writing, I was plagued by Sciatica  and all sorts of useful advice from blogging friends and family started to come in from that post as to how to overcome it.

 Sandy's mother was getting rid of a perfectly good double mattress as she was downsizing to a single bed to make more room in her flat. She had paid £1000 for it not very long ago and she asked if I'd like it as it was going to end up on the city rubbish tip. Usually I wouldn't consider a second hand mattress unless I knew the owner and knew that it was going to be clean, which I did on this occasion and I jumped at the suggestion. So Sam and Sandy brought it round and took my 15 year old mattress away to the tip. The old mattress was really hard and never very comfortable and Sam couldn't understand why I'd put up with such discomfort for 15 years but it just seemed too much effort to change it again.
Surely this new mattress would help ease my back problem?  
What I didn't realise was that Sandy's mother smokes heavily and the mattress, although in very new condition did stink of cigarette smoke and our night attire and bedding picked up the smell and had to be changed frequently. After spraying with fabric conditioner every morning and evening for a week, and leaving the mattress bare in front of the open window all day, the smell gradually decreased. The mattress is more springy than the old one, kinder to the bones and we did both get a better nights sleep.

Another blogger who I hadn't heard from for a very long time put me in touch with certain exercises for sciatica from the net. This got me interested in self help and I did a bit of research and found a simple stretch to ease the trapped nerve. This morning the edge seemed to be off the pain and I could walk a bit better so that seems to be the way to go. I'm all for self help and hope to cut the pain killers down soon.

So many thanks to all those who made helpful suggestions....... I really don't know what I'd do without my blogging pals (and family and non blogging friends too). You are all really brilliant.

25 comments:

MARY G said...

In Canada you can buy a product called 'Febrese' that is an anti-stink spray. Works for mould. Would probably help the tar small from cigarettes.
So glad you are getting a bit of relief. I hope it continues to go well.

Irene said...

I'm glad to hear that your back is getting a bit better. Some exercise usually does help, you've just got to find the right ones. I'm sleeping on a better mattress too and it does make a difference. I'm more limber in the morning when I get up.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Maggie all sounds like good progress and soon a spring in your step! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Akelamalu said...

Glad to hear the sciatica is easing, I know from experience just how painful it can be. x

Besides your new (old) matress have you considered a matress topper, I believe they're wonderful. I haven't got one because I've got a waterbed, something I can really recommend but a tad expensive.

FeltByRae said...

That is excellent news, I love that you are going the fix it yourself route; if it works it will be longer lasting and if it recurrs (fingers crossed it won't) then you'll know what to do again

Hilary said...

Glad to hear it Maggie. That's a generous gift of a mattress but I'm not so sure I could stand the smoky smell for sleeping. I hope it wears off completely.. the smell and especially your pain.

Suburbia said...

Glad it is easing a little x

cheshire wife said...

I am sorry to read that you are having more problems. I read your blog last night, but did not have time to comment. When I had sciatica after dragging a suitcase around Rome because husband was too tight to pay for a taxi, I found an osteopath and Deep Heat very good, but I am not sure if that would be compatible with the treatment that you have had. I am sure that a more comfortable mattress and several good nights sleep will help enormously.

Brian Miller said...

nice...i am glad that you got some suggestions for help...and that you could air the mattress enough to use it...and that it helped you get a good night sleep...hope that it is better soon!

Mimi said...

Good news all round, Maggie, even if it took a while and a bit of work.

15 years is too long to have a mattress! I think when we changed ours after 10 years they told use that was too long, should be every 6 yrs or so.
I'm doing a quick multiplying here 15*365*8= 43,800 hours of use!!

Anyway, delighted the exercises are helping; you'll be a new woman when you get rid of the pain.

Jackie said...

We are family, my friend.
I love that about us!!
I'm glad that you are feeling some relief.
I send you gentle hugs.
Love you,
Jackie

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Sorry to hear you have had to endure the pain of sciatica Maggie and hope that you are soon completely free of it. A x

Shammickite said...

I hope that the "new" mattress will continue to give you restful nights and ease the pain of the sciatica. That sounds very uncomfortable. I see there's a comment that says you should change your mattress every 6 years. Well, mine is probably 8 years old now and I have no intention of changing it. It's so comfy, clean, and in pristine condition.
And as for your mattress smelling of smoke... YUCK! Why do people continue to poison themselves and their environment with that nasty habit?

larkswing said...

So glad you are feeling better! Funny how odors get trapped in things...glad the smell is dissipating and sweet dreams are here!

CiCi said...

It does take some time to get completely rid of cigarette smells, doesn't it? I am so glad you are doing better. That sciatica pain is horrible.

Anonymous said...

Having a bad back is horrid. I've never suffered sciatica but I do believe it's awfully painful. Glad to hear you're starting to feel better.

CJ x

Jeni said...

Good to hear you got a bit of relief from the aches and pains and a new mattress (well, new to you) in the bargain! Hope the mattress continues to provide at least some relief and who knows, the exercise may help more than you realize too.

Rose said...

I'm glad to hear the exercises help somewhat; I agree that blogging friends can offer some great advice. A new mattress can make a world of difference in how you sleep as well.

Sally Wessely said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better. This is all great news.

Happy Frog and I said...

That's so strange, I would have assumed that the mattress would not belong to a smoker but why I would assume that I have no idea. Sounds like it has all worked out though which is great.

I agree that blogger friends can be very helpful indeed, I've learned so much from them.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Yikes - the smoke smell would be a huge problem for me.

I had some sciatic years ago from a bulging disk and did physical therapy for it. The exercises/stretching really helped.

Wisewebwoman said...

Blog buddies have helped me so much also Maggie.

Oh my about the mattress I think I would have been sick. Being a very ex-smoker I find I am more allergic than most.

As to the sciatica, I had that in Mexico of all places and suffered horribly, smooth slow stretching and patience...:)

XO
WWW

Coey said...

I know that this all sucks balls. I think If anyone I would know. I hope that the new mattress makes you as comfortable as possible...

p.s. F cancer.

Unknown said...

I am glad you were able to get rid of the smoke smell. Also very thankful you are able to get a good nights sleep.

Penny Pincher said...

Hello Maggi I not been on Blogger for a looooong time but trying get around catch up with old acquaintences
Very pleased hear wonderful news re cancer. Sorry hear of back problems.

I cannot recommend this gel & the supplier highly enough. It is marvellous I use it 2x daily along with couple paracetamols. Kit keeps me sufficiently active and aids pain free sleep.

Maybe worth a try - the only gel that not irritate my skin - has a light pleasant smell

. http://www.zipvit.co.uk/cgi-bin/popupprod3a1.pl?prodcode=A168a&cartnumber=3785z&currency=Pounds%20Sterling&vouchercode=&category=D

Best wishes